Thursday, May 13, 2010

Asking for Directions (in German) | In der Stadt

Basic German Words and Phrases for Asking How To Get There
Planning travel in Germany? Learn some basic, useful German phrases and words for asking how to get there.

The following questions and expressions are important to know (German to English):

Wo ist…? - Where is…?
Here are some examples:
  • Wo ist das Kino? - Where is the movie theater?
  • Wo ist hier eine Apotheke? –Where is a drug store around here?
Wie komme ich dorthin? – How do I get there?
Examples:
  • Wie komme ich zum Museum? – How do I get to the museum?
  • Wie komme ich zur Hauptstrasse? – How do I get to the main street?
Ich suche… - I’m looking for…
Example:
  • Ich suche ein Kaufhaus. – I’m looking for a department store.
Be polite:
Entschuldigung. | Verzeihung. -  Excuse me.
Entschuldigen Sie bitte. - Excuse me, please.
Sagen Sie bitte, wie komme ich…? - Tell me, please..?


Here are some examples:
  • Entschuldigen Sie bitte, wie komme ich zur Post? – Excuse me, how do I get to the post office?
  • Verzeihung, wie komme ich zum Bahnhof? – Excuse me, how can I get to the railway station?
  • Sagen Sie bitte, wie komme ich zur Schillerstraße? – Tell me, please, how can I get to the Schiller Street?
STADT PHRASEN
(English to German)
  1. I don’t know this town at all. Ich finde mich in dieser Stadt nicht zurecht.
  2. I have lost my way. – Ich habe mich verirrt.
  3. I’m looking for the hotel. Ich suche eine Hotel.
  4. Is it near? – Ist das in der Nähe?
  5. Is it far? – Ist das weit?
  6. How long does it take to walk to…? - Wie lange ist zu Fuss bis (zu)…?
  7. How far is it from here? – Wie wit ist das von hier?
  8. What is the shortest way to…? – Wie komme ich am schnellsten bis (zu)…?
  9. How does one get to the center of city? – Wie komme ich in die Innenstadt?

  10. Do I have to take a taxi? – Muss ich ein Taxi nehmen?
  11. Or I can take a bus? – Soll ich nicht lieber den Bus nehmen?
  12. Or I can walk? – Oder kann ich zu Fuss gehen?
  13. What is the best way for me to get there? – Wie komme ich am besten dorthin?
  14. Where is the bus stop? - Wo ist hier die Bus-Haltstelle?
  15. Where is the taxi stand? – Wo ist der Taxistand?
  16. What street is this? – Was für eine Strasse ist das? / Welche Strasse ist das hier?
  17. How this square is called? - Wie heisst dieser Platz?
  18. How this street is called? - Wie heisst diese Strasse?
  19. Will you please show me house number eight? – Helfen Sie mir bitte das Haus Nummer acht zu finden.
  20. Am I going in the right direction? – Gehe ich richtig?
  21. Do I turn right? – Muss ich abbiegen nach rechts? 
  22. Do I turn left? - Muss ich abbiegen nach links?
  23. Should I go this way? – Soll ich hier gehen?
  24. Should I go that way? – Soll ich da gehen?
  25. Is it on this side of the street? – Ist das auf dieser Strassenseite?
  26. Is it on the other side of the street? – Ist das auf anderer Strassenseite?
  27. Is it across the bridge? – Ist das über der Brücke?


Mögliche Antworten
  1. It is near. - Das ist in der Nähe.
  2. It is too far. - Das ist ziemlich weit.
  3. Gehen Sie nach links. – Идите налево.
  4. Go straight ahead. - Gehen Sie geradeaus.
  5. Turn to the right. – Biegen Sie rechts ab.
  6. Turn to the left. – Biegen Sie links ab.
  7. Go straight ahead, and then turn left. - Geradeaus, und dann nach links.
  8. It is between these avenues. – Das ist zwischen diesen Strassen.
  9. It is beyond the traffic light. – Das ist hinter der Verkehrsampel.
  10. It is next to the apartment house. – Das ist neben dem Wohnhaus.
  11. It is in the middle of the block. – Das ist in der Mitte des Stadtviertels.
  12. It is near the square. – Das ist neben dem Platz.
  13. It is inside the station. – Das ist im Bahnhof.
  14. It is outside the hotel. – Das ist am Hoteleingang.
  15. It is opposite the park. – Das ist dem Park gegenüber.
  16. It is in front of the monument. - Das ist vor dem Denklmal.
  17. It is behind the building – Das ist hinter dem Gebäude.
  18. On the corner. - An der Ecke.
  19. At the end of the street. - Am Ende der Strasse.
  20. It is on this side of the street. -  Das ist auf dieser Strassenseite.
  21. Ii is on the other side of the street. - Das ist auf anderer Strassenseite. 
  22. Go to the crossroads, and then turn to right. - Gehen Sie bis zur Kreuzung, dann nach rechts. 
 Learn German words that will come in useful
airport – der Flughafen
ATM machine - der/ein Geldautomat
bridge - die Brücke
building - das Gebäude
café - das Café
cemetery - der Friedhof
church - die Kirche 
crossing - der Übergang
crossroads - die Kreuzung
Employment Exchange - das Arbeitsamt
fair – der Jahrmarkt / die Mess
grave - das Grab
historic city - die Altstadt
hospital - das Krankenhaus
house number - die Hausnummer
lane - die Gasse
manor - der Hof 
market place – der Marktplatz
monastery - das Kloster
monument - das Denkmal
opera - die Oper
park – der Park 
playground - das Spielplatz
police - die Polizei
quarter, block - das Stadtviertel 
quay - die Uferstrasse
railway station - der Bahnhof 
restaurant -  das Restaurant
square- der Platz
stop - die Haltestelle
street - die Strasse
supermarket – der Supermarkt
taxi stand - der Taxistand
the movie theater- das Kino
the museum  – das Museum
the underground (metro, tube) - die U-Bahn 
theatre - das Theater 
Town Hall - das Rathaus 
travel agency – das Reisebüro